![]() |
| ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, APRIL W. HOLDRIDGE PHOTOGRAPHY |
SWIFT BUILDING
On my first visit to Selma, Alabama, I was captivated by the unique beauty of the Swift Drug building. I was immediately drawn to its rich history and decided to document it through my art. Here's what I've discovered so far. I'll continue to update as I delve deeper into its past and complete my artwork.
Over a century ago, in October, George A. Swift and his brother, William P. "Will" Swift, a bookkeeper, joined forces to establish Swift Drug in its iconic building in downtown Selma. Swift Drug Company, a beacon of quality products and customer service, has been a part of Selma's and Dallas County's history, serving generations. On December 23, 2022, the Swift Drug Company closed its doors, marking the end of an era.
On November 30, 2022, William P. Swift III, known as "Buddy," who has owned and operated the business since 1972, spent his last work day at the store. Buddy stayed as long as he could, leaving three weeks before the doors were officially closed.
For three generations, the Swift family has been the heart and soul of the business at 217 Broad Street. The building, originally an empty lot owned by the Peters family during their Selma Marble and Granite days, has been a part of the Swift family's legacy.
From 1916 to 1976, the Peters family built and leased the building to the Swifts. In 1976, the Swifts purchased it. The building, which initially had two floors, saw a significant change in 1926 when a third floor was added to accommodate more physicians, reflecting the evolving needs of the community.
For more intormation please follow this link https://www.selmatimesjournal.com/2022/12/02/end-of-an-era-swift-drug-company-closing-after-106-years/
__________________________________________________



Comments
Post a Comment